A survivor of the Lindt Cafe siege has again come face to face with the weapon used by gunman Man Haron Monis, this time in a courtroom.
The sawn-off shotgun was presented as evidence before the inquest on Wednesday.
The confronting exhibit was witnessed by siege survivor Louisa Hope, who said outside the court that seeing the gun was challenging but she was grateful it had been displayed.
“You can’t hide from what has happened,” she said.
“Rather than hide one has to stand up and face what happened and keep going.”
The families of Monis’ victims, Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, were absent.
A police weapons expert used dummy cartridges to show how the gun could fire four shots in less than 10 seconds.
NSW Police crime scene officer Walter Murphy said the gun had had its barrel and butt roughly sawn off to shorten it from more than 1.2m long to 58cm.
However it was impossible to tell when the cuts were made on the weapon, which was more than 50 years old, he said.
Also at the inquest on Wednesday, one of the most senior police officers in NSW said he would have hand-delivered a request to have Monis remanded in custody if he could have foreseen the tragedy.
Assistant Commissioner Mark Jenkins decided not to send a letter asking the NSW Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) to review a court’s decision to give Monis bail in December 2013, a year before the Sydney siege.
Monis was granted bail on two charges of accessory to the murder of his ex-wife and homicide detectives were angry that the DPP solicitor on the case had not put important evidence before the magistrate.
Mr Jenkins, who is the NSW State Crime Commander, told the inquest on Wednesday he decided sending a letter would not make the DPP reconsider the case.
“Quite obviously if I had had the foresight to see what would occur 12 months later I would have walked the letter down there and sat outside the office until the review had been initiated,” Mr Jenkins said.
“But I didn’t have that foresight.”
Police and the DPP have been at odds over Monis’s bail.
Evidence at the inquest has shown detectives criticised the DPP solicitor’s performance while DPP officers have challenged police claims that they provided information which could have kept Monis behind bars.
Following the December 12 2013 decision to release Monis, homicide detectives drafted a letter for Mr Jenkins to consider sending to the DPP.
Homicide Squad boss Mick Willing said he and Mr Jenkins agreed that the letter should not be sent because “the horse had bolted” as far as getting Monis’s bail reviewed was concerned.
Detective Superintendent Willing said he used words to the effect of: “We are pushing s*** up a hill” to describe the situation.
Mr Jenkins said he thought the NSW Director of Public Prosecutions, Lloyd Babb, would not change his position because he was being advised by DPP officers who were “reluctant” to undertake the case.
He rejected a suggestion from Gabrielle Bashir SC, representing the family of siege victim Katrina Dawson, that he should have sent the letter.
Mr Jenkins also said he did not know why the officer in charge of the case was told the letter had been sent.